Summertime has officially arrived — and just like we rotate our wardrobes for the new season, it’s important to adjust our skincare routine as the days get sunnier, warmer, and more humid.
We’re here to help you make the transition as easy as possible with this 10-step guide to summer-friendly skincare.
- Clear away the last signs of winter dryness.
With the cold behind us, skin will be less sensitive to exfoliating products. Start fresh this summer with some thorough exfoliation to get rid of dull, congested dead cells and reveal skin that’s softer, smoother, and brighter.
- Glycolic Gel & Pads at night to resurface skin with 10% glycolic acid.
- Papaya Mint Body Scrub with jojoba beads and fruit enzymes for daily allover exfoliation.
- Lighten up on emollients.
The heavy enriched moisturizers ideal during winter months will only weigh your skin down this time of year. Switch to a more fluid, fast-absorbing formula that will allow your skin to breathe without feeling tacky or sticky.
- Oil-Free Moisturizer, a hydrating sheer moisturizer with hyaluronic acid and vitamin E.
- Clarifying Moisturizer for acne-prone skin with salicylic acid, hyaluronic acid, and calming extracts.
- Double down on cleansing.
Heat and humidity make cleansing more important than ever. Look for a lightweight twice a day cleanser that will keep your skin balanced as it deep-cleans the oil, sweat, sunscreen residue, makeup, and impurities building up in the pores.
- Salicylic Face & Body Wash with 2% salicylic acid to prevent clogged pores on face, neck, chest, back, and more.
- Chamomile Facial Cleanser, a hydrating and calming gel formula that’s sulfate-free and non-comedogenic.
- Be proactive about acne.
Even if you’re cleansing every day, you may find your skin breaking out more now than it did in winter. Start playing offense to keep acne at bay — as soon as you feel a pimple forming, tackle it with a salicylic acid treatment.
- Acne Spot Treatment with 2% salicylic acid in a clear formula ideal for both morning or night.
- Overnight Spot Treatment for nighttime with salicylic acid, camphor, and sulfur.
- Acne Control System, a complete 4-step regimen to manage acne-prone skin types.
- Cool down with a hydrating spray.
Rising temperatures make our bodies sweat more and dehydrate faster. Combat this by misting your face with a refreshing water-based spray which delivers a skin-cooling hydration boost.
- Vita-C Peptide Spray to hydrate and calm skin, set makeup, and relax the senses with aromatherapeutic botanicals.
- Fight shine with a mattifying treatment.
Whether you’re bare-faced or wearing makeup, it can be frustrating to deal with an oily complexion in summer. Mattify the grease (and keep foundation and powder from melting) with a shine-controlling serum.
- Green Tea Antioxidant Serum which combines brightening, hydrating, antioxidant, and acne-fighting benefits in a weightless matte formula. Can be used as a foundation primer.
- Make sun protection non-negotiable.
Although sunscreen is essential year-round, the sun’s level of UVA/UVB radiation peaks June through August. Add in longer daylight hours plus outdoor activities and skin gets much more exposure. Make sure to use a broad-spectrum sunscreen each day (and reapply every 2 hours).
- Daily Replenishing Sunscreen, a tinted formula with antioxidant Lipochroman® and protective botanicals to shield all skin types from three key sources of skin damage. Vegan, reef-safe, and fragrance-free.
- Strengthen your skin’s UV defenses.
To counteract any radiation your sunscreen doesn’t filter out, layer it with a potent antioxidant product underneath. Antioxidants help defend your skin against photodamage to keep it looking younger and healthier.
- Ultra Benefits® moisturizer with ultra-potent antioxidant Lipochroman® and photoprotective Chromabright®. Great for all skin types.
- Vita Soothe serum with antioxidant Lipochroman®, bioidentical glycolipids, and vitamins E and F to fortify normal to dry skin types.
- Be vigilant about dark spots.
Hyperpigmentation will noticeably worsen when your skin is exposed to sunlight. Adding one or more brightening solutions to your daily skincare routine will help prevent and correct discoloration, dark spots, and acne marks.
- Vita-C 20 with highly concentrated 20% L-ascorbic acid (vitamin C) for intensive brightening.
- Skin Brightening System, an effective 3-step regimen to restore skin brightness and radiance. Includes Vita-C 20.
- Have backup in case of sunburn.
Accidents happen. Be sure to keep a calming sunburn treatment handy — if you do find yourself with red, peeling skin after a day outside, you’ll want to start applying it as soon as possible to help your skin bounce back.
- Soothing Skin Relief Gel to hydrate and promote healing with aloe vera leaf, sea algae, and vitamin E. Formula is 100% alcohol-free.